Saturday, April 4, 2009

Some Inspiration


This is my mom. The day she married my dad. Isn't she lovely? You can't see the dress very well, but it's a pistachio green sleeveless v-neck, with a matching cape (yes, cape) with big tie-dyed looking sunbursts (yes, sunbursts). Handmade by someone. 1976. We lost the cape years ago, but I still have the dress, and here she is today.I've always loved the general fit and shape of the dress. Sadly, pistachio green has never been my color, and the fit is not quite perfect. But this is the dress that started it all. I told my mom that Courtney and I would be copying this dress, and she said oh so tenderly, "Oh honey, I'm sure you can find something better than that. That was just my choir dress." So that's the plan. Keep aspects of this style in mind, and build from there. Here are some other dresses that caught my eye for some reason or another...

(clockwise from top left: unknown, SHIHAR, Aida Coronado, Neiman Marcus, JCrew, Neiman, Aida, an Etsy sketch I can't find now)

So you can see some ideas taking shape. More to come...